The objective of this project was to develop a Virtual Lab simulator for the training of Chemical Industry workers.
Virtualware developed a serious game based on the “learning by doing” methodology, where workers deal with different situations which allows them to:
· Gain knowledge about Standard Work Procedures in a Laboratory
· Identify and handle shared instruments and machines in Labs
· Read and understand Security Data Sheets of a Lab´s chemical reactors
· Make mixtures and solutions following a standard protocol
· Manage any residues in a specific manner in order to avoid any environmental risks
By using a Serious Game format, users could practice the same tasks that would be done in a real chemistry lab, but in a safe and secure environment without generating residues, and which minimizes costs associated with “real world” training.
After developing the pilot project, the evaluations made by the experts and workers of the Chemical Industry based on the results of game usage proved the following:
· High capacity to capture students’ attention
· High motivation levels during the training process of workers
· Directly related to professional performance level
· Promotes the application of the content, activities and educational resources
· Directly related to the professional skills workers are expected to improve